Ramani is a successful entrepreneur, a mentor and a philanthropist.
With an objective of creating a successful global organization in communications technology, Ramani founded FutureSoft in the year 1985. FutureSoft and its subsidiaries provided communications software products and solutions in leading edge technology areas like IP Switching/Routing, Broadband Access, Wireless and Wireline applications and Embedded Systems.
Ramani is one of the founder members of NASSCOM (India’s National Association of Software and Service Companies) and he was the Chairman of NASSCOM during 1997-98. It was during his tenure as Chairman of NASSCOM that NASSCOM unveiled its new growth strategy to be fuelled by a product focus among software companies.
Ramani was the Charter president of the TiE (The indUS Entrepreneurs) – Chennai Chapter from Jan 2001 to Mar 2003. He has contributed significantly to promoting TiE’s mission of encouraging and fostering entrepreneurship, particularly in the state of Tamil Nadu. He is also actively involved with several charitable causes and welfare programs.
Ramani graduated in Physics from University of Madras. He has attended several postgraduate programs in the areas of Software engineering, Communications technology and general management.
Ramani is principled, energetic, passionate and exemplifies the force that builds great technology companies.
Tall, bespectacled and exuding an aura of strength and geniality, Ramani stands head-and-shoulders above the crowd. An instinctive sense of humor and the ability to remember names and faces wins him the admiration of many a young heart.
A ‘communicator’ in every sense of the word, Ramani keeps his audience spellbound with the words he weaves– an art which many an academic or politician would envy.
Soaking in the quiet of Nature — long walks with family, a relaxed drive away from the madding crowd, classical music. are some of the ways with which he takes a break from the everyday routine.
Family ties mean a lot to Ramani. Being a part of a large family has reinforced his belief in forging ties that last long. This philosophy he also extends to his organization. His late mother, and wife Lakshmi have played and continue to play an inspiring, supportive and encouraging role in all his activities and achievements. Lakshmi and Ramani have a daughter – Sai Janani.
Favourite Pastime : Cricket, Tennis, Chess and Classical Music.
Ramani has been an entrepreneur in the Software industry, since 1985. He is widely known for his role in encouraging software companies to develop focused business plans and evolve specialization in specific areas. He is also a pioneer in building software products from India for global markets.
He is the Founder-Chairman and Managing Director of Future Software – a company based at Chennai and specializing in high technology communications software development since 1985.
Ramani is also one of the Founders and Co-promoter of Hughes Software Systems in New Delhi, since 1991. He was also a member of the Board of Directors of Hughes Software Systems Limited.
He is also the Founder Chairman and CEO of Future Communication Software in U.S.A., based at Santa Clara, California, since 1994 and specializing in marketing and support of communication software products and services.
After selling his shares in Future Software & Hughes Software Systems to Flextronics Corp.of U.S., he has advised on the integration of these companies as a director and resigned from the Board of both the companies in April, 2006.
K.V. Ramani is now focused on directing and managing Shirdi Sai Trust founded by him in 1996, to spread Shirdi Sai’s teachings and helping needy persons for food, clothes, education and medical assistance, with pioneering efforts as a social entrepreneur. He is also mentoring a few start-up companies in the information technology and communications space.
Ramani has also founded Digital Holdings Pvt. Ltd, a company specializing in Communications products R&D and financial investments.
He was the Charter president of the TiE (The indUS Entrepreneurs) – Chennai Chapter from Jan 2001 to Mar 2003. He has contributed significantly to promoting TiE’s mission of encouraging and fostering entrepreneurship, particularly to the state of Tamilnadu, India.
Shirdi Sai Trust
Shirdi Sai Trust (SST) is a charitable trust engaged in spreading the Sai movement.
The main activities of the Trust are :
- Spreading Saibaba’s teachings and messages.
- Assisting in the building of Sai Mandirs.
- Providing educational assistance to poor and deserving students.
- Providing medical assistance to poor and needy persons.
- Supporting and providing food and clothing to the needy persons.
Services rendered since inception
With Sai’s grace, we have contributed to the following services:
- Assisted in building about 125 Shirdi Saibaba Mandirs in India.
- Distributed books, cassettes, CD’s, pictures of Shirdi Sai to several thousand devotees.
- Providing educational assistance to about 2500 students every year at present.
- Providing emergency medical assistance for about 3500 patients every year at present.
- Supporting the annadhanam program of 25 Sai Mandirs in India at present.
- Supporting 5 charitable institutions for running schools and institutions for destitute and challenged persons.
For more information on Shirdi Sai Trust , please visit its website at www.shirdisaitrust.org
- Founder member of NASSCOM (National Association of Software and Service Companies), the Indian industry association for Software and Service Companies since 1988.
- Contributed to the growth of the industry as a member of the Executive Council of NASSCOM continuously for the first ten years, having been reelected by members five times. He was President of NASSCOM, during 1997 – 98. and is now a Chairman Emeritus.
- Member of the Govering Council of Asia/Pacific I.T. industry association (ASOCIO) during 1997 – 98.
- Contributed to the state of Tamil Nadu as
- Director of ELCOT (Electronics corporation of Tamilnadu- a State Government promotional agency for Electronics and Software industries) during 1997 – 2000.
- Director of TANITEC (Tamilnadu Institute of Information Technology) in 1998.
- Member of the ninth plan working group constituted by the State Government of Tamilnadu in the year 1997 – 98 for planning the growth of Software industry in the state.
- The driving force behind the establishment of STPI at Chennai in the year 1994 and Nasscom office in chennai in 2004.
- Member of the committee for the design and construction of TIDEL park at Chennai in the year 2001.
- Contributed at the National level as
- Member of the Working Group on Information Technology of the Department of Electronics, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Chairman of the Study Team on Software Development and Exports for the Ninth Five Year Plan, constituted by the Department of Electronics, Government of India during 1996.
- Former Chairman of Software Panel, Southern region, for Electronics and Computer Software Export Promotion Council (ESC), under Ministry of Commerce from 1988 – 92.
- Charter president of the TiE (The indUS Entrepreneurs) – Chennai Chapter from Jan 2001 to Mar 2003 . Has contributed significantly to promoting TiE’s mission of encouraging and fostering entrepreneurship, particularly to the state of Tamilnadu, India.
- Has given talks and lectures in several Indian and International conferences and seminars and leading academic institutions.